How Much Does a DUI Cost?
DUI Cost – Out-of-Pocket Costs If Convicted
Related Topics: DUI Lawyer Cost; DUI Penalties; DUI Consequences
Many potential clients ask us, “What does a DUI cost?” The total cost of a DUI has risen significantly in the last two decades due to fines and surcharges being increased by State legislatures. Adding on an assessment or surcharge to a DUI conviction helps raise more taxes for the State government.
Other pages of this website cover attorney fees, the long-term impact of a DUI conviction, and possible lost opportunity costs of DUI. But some immediate DUI cost items for any DUI include:
- Fines, assessments, and surcharges as high as $10,000
- License reinstatements costs
- Possible restitution for property damage or medical bills
- Unpaid time off from work when you are in court or in jail
- Airline flight or mileage costs if your arrest was in another state
- Tuition fees for DUI classes
- Ignition Interlock Device installation and monthly monitoring fees
- Time and transportation costs to get to and from community service (taxi, Uber™, family member)
- Much higher car insurance rates (varies depending on State laws)
- Public transportation fares if you lose your driver’s license
A DUI conviction will be a hardship for many years. You will have to tell future employers about your DUI. Certain colleges can deny admissions because of a DUI. Most major car rental companies will not rent a car to you, which is an embarrassing situation to explain to your boss or HR department. You may be put on DUI probation and have to pay a monthly probation supervision fee. You will have to pay a driver’s license reinstatement fee. To learn the full cost of a DUI, read through veteran Atlanta DUI lawyer William C. Head’s “97 Consequences of a DUI Conviction.” It may surprise you how many DUI penalties and DUI consequences can come your way.
Call one of our top DUI lawyers anytime day or night at 1-888-839-4384 and discuss your many options. Or email Mr. Head at firstname.lastname@example.org to get the contact information for a top DWI-DUI lawyer in your court location. Your first consultation is free, and you will learn a lot more about the quality of your DUI arrest, your possible defenses, your chances to obtain a possible reduction to reckless driving, and many more proven ways to fight your DUI case.